April 05, 2008

ISTQB self-study group

We started an ISTQB self-study group at work last week. We got around 18 people on the interested-leads list, I expect the actual number will be much lower.

The idea is to use this book "Foundations of Software Testing: ISTQB Certification" as a study guide, meeting once a week to discuss current sections/chapters.

I read the first 3 sections, which cover the basic questions "what is testing" and "why testing is necessary". I felt the book was oversimplified and naive. To give you an example, the authors tend to go into lengthy analogs that bring little value (for example, comparing software product to a tomato in order to discuss definitions of "quality".

On the other hand, I think that for beginners it may do the trick, and serve as a clear introduction to software testing. I will write more as we progress.

No comments: